We like to think of summer as the most relaxing time of the year. The days are longer, making them seem endless, as well as warm and cozy enough to nap anywhere, at any time. However, sometimes we get a little too comfortable and forget to make the best choices for our mouths when choosing the right snacks on the go for ourselves and the little ones.
So we have a quick list of recommendations for go-to choices for better and life lasting healthier smiles.
Here they are:
• Top go-to are fruits and vegetables; They are full of vitamins, nutrients, and fiber to keep us full longer. Keep cool and hydrated with any of the melon’s like watermelon, cantaloupe, or honeydew. Some of our favorites are apples and blueberries. Or go with snap peas, celery sticks, or carrots.
• Nuts; Almonds, peanuts, cashews and more are amazing for dental health. Most nuts help maintain healthy gums and teeth. The extra chewing it requires produces plenty of saliva, which cleanse and neutralizes the pH levels in your mouth to avoid cavities. Additionally, chomping on naturally abrasive foods massages gums and cleans between teeth.
• Dairy products are important for good overall health and that’s why string cheese made the list. It’s fast, tasty, and good for you. The calcium in cheese, and other dairy products, help put back minerals your teeth might have lost.
• Dark chocolate. We understand that candy is always a must for some so if you’re that person we recommend chocolate. The reason is because it’ll dissolve quickly avoiding saturating your mouth with sugar causing bacteria to sit on your teeth. It’s best to stay away from sticky and chewy candies. Also don’t leave your chocolate in a hot car. It’ll get messy and stuff.
• Unsweetened and non-carbonated beverages. Skip the bubbles and sugar and go for h2o or teas. Try going with tap water rather than bottled because in most cases it’s fluoridated which helps strengthen your teeth’s enamel to prevent decay unlike bottled water. If you’re unsure if your tap water is fluoridated call your water provider for information. Teas are simple to brew at home, whether you prefer hot or cold, they come in a variety of flavors to quench your thirst.
All are a great smile healthy snack choices, and the best part is they’re easy to pack and store for on the go. We’d love to hear some of your favorite summer healthy snacks.
If you still haven’t had your summer dental check up give us a call to schedule yours and your family’s visit at our E. Vancouver and Camas, WA location to have Dr.Bharathi examine your summer smile’s. We’re conveniently located off of 192nd on 34th St behind QFC Camas, WA.